Issues in Aging Radio Show airs the 4th Monday of each month on WSVA 550 Am and 92.1 FM at 9:15 a.m. The show is co-hosted by Jim Britt and Beth Bland, VPAS Director of Senior Services in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County. In this podcast, VPAS Executive Director Jeri Schaff talks about COVID-19 vaccines and the VPAS annual report. Listen here.
Wondering how to use Zoom for Virtual Events?
A family caregiver workshop designed to help you understand dementia, deal with problem behaviors, handle stress and find more time for yourself. Includes a 350+ page Dementia Caregivers Guide. Participants must have a smart phone, tablet or computer with a microphone and camera to participate.
- Saturday, May 15 from 1:00-5:00 p.m. Register here or call 540-615-5341 by May 10 in order to receive your guidebook in time.
- Thursday, July 22 from 1:00-5:00 p.m. Register here or call 540-615-5341 by July 16 in order to receive your guidebook in time.
Meet fellow caregivers on the same journey as you. Designed to provide education and support for caregivers of adults 60 and older. Workshops meet online so you can join from the comfort of your home!
- Tuesdays, April 20-June 1, 10:00-11:00 a.m. Registration is closed for this program. Please contact us at 540-615-5341 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating in future circles.
- Tuesday, April 20, 3:00-4:00 p.m.: Loss and Identity - In this session, Sentara RMH Bereavement Coordinator Nancy Shomo offers guidance on how to acknowledge and verbalize the losses we experience over time as caregivers, the importance of self-care, and maintaining sense of self. Workshop participants will meet online. Zoom link provided upon registration. Register here or call 540-615-5341.
Great Community Give - A sunrise to sunset day of giving in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County on April 21, 2021. No matter where you live, you can participate! Funds raised will support Meals on Wheels throughout our service area and deliver hope to older adults in need. Here's our story. Please share it with friends, neighbors, and co-workers. Together, we can fight senior hunger and isolation in our communities.
Matter of Balance
A Matter of Balance (MOB) addresses the fear of falling that many older adults experience. People who develop this fear often limit their activities, which can result in physical weakness, making the risk of falling even greater. This program is designed to reduce the fear falling and increase activity levels. The $25 fee is waived for participants 60 years and older who complete the required paperwork.
April 21--June 16, 10 a.m. - noon
Call 540-615-5341 or register here.
- May 13, 3:00-4:00 p.m. Register here or call 540-615-5341.
On this National Healthcare Decisions Day, we'll help you craft Five Wishes - a living will that directs your health care decisions in the event you become unable to speak for yourself. Making these choices in advance can greatly reduce the burden for your loved ones if you are seriously ill or injured.
With this respectful, easy-to-use form, you can share your decisions about medical care, surroundings, visitors, comfort and more. Join us from the comfort of home. We'll walk you through the process and provide a copy of Five Wishes at no charge.
Fri., April 16, 1:00-2:00 p.m.
Register here or call 540-615-5341
Tai Chi for Arthritis and Fall Prevention (Virtual)
VPAS CREATES: Virtual Arts and Crafts Gatherings
Tuesdays, May 11, 18, 25 - 2:00-3:00 p.m.
Register here or call 540-615-5341
Bring joy to an elder near you! Write a cheerful letter, draw a picture, or share a joke on 8.5" x 11" paper. We'll deliver it to homebound older neighbors who need a smile. This is a great activity for students, faith or civic groups, families or businesses interested in helping the community this holiday season.
- In Harrisonburg or Rockingham County, you can mail your greeting or place in the drop box at 975 S. High St., Harrisonburg, VA 22801
- In the Buena Vista area, mail to maury River Senior Center, P.O. Box 415, Buena Vista, VA 24416, or drop through the slot in the senior center's middle window facing the parking lot.
- In Staunton, Augusta Co. or Waynesboro, mail your greeting to: "Hello" Project, VPAS, 325 Pine Avenue, Waynesboro, VA 2298 or drop through the mail slot beside the brown double doors that face 12th Street.
- In Bath County, mail to or drop off at: 212 West Warm Springs Drive Warm Springs, VA 24484
- In Highland County, mail to or drop off at: Highland Senior Services, 49 Spruce St., Monterey, VA 24465
- Share your greeting from the comfort of home! Simply scan and email to email@example.com
Guidelines: All notes and pictures will be screened by our staff to be sure they do not contain the senders’ full name, address, or phone number; no larger than 8 ½ by 11 inches, and not three-dimensional; items containing political, evangelical content or promotion of a product or business will not be shared; senders will not receive an acknowledgement from VPAS or from the recipient.
Chair Yoga with Tommy
Gentle exercise from the comfort of home. Chair yoga is practiced sitting on a chair or using a chair for support. It can reduce stress, improve balance and mental clarity, and promote relaxation. All you need is a chair and an internet connection for this peaceful exercise session. Access pre-recorded classes here to participate from the comfort of your own home.
Hosted by VPAS Director of Senior Services in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County, Beth Bland.
Listen to a podcast of the Feb. 24, 2020 show here.