A professional and experienced Case Manager handles phone requests for assistance from older adults, caregivers, professionals, and others. This could include anything from an answer to a quick question to an in-home assessment to determine what types of services might be best to meet the older adult’s needs.
The assessment may cover a wide range of topics, including:
- Daily activities
- Feelings, moods, and emotions
- Health conditions
- Housing arrangements
- Nutritional needs
- Caregiver stress
After the assessment
After the initial assessment, the Case Manager may recommend specific services to meet the individual needs of the older adult. These services could be offered through VPAS or through another agency. The Case Manager will provide information on how individuals and families can access recommended services.
Referrals could include:
- Meals on Wheels Program for nutritious meals delivered to the home by a volunteer.
- Senior Center for nutritious meals, social interaction with other older adults to prevent isolation, physical activity, and stimulating programs.
- Home repair and modification to accommodate physically challenged older adults. This could include the construction of a wheelchair ramp to provide easier access into the home or repairs to a deteriorating home to make the environment safer.
- In-home Personal Care to assist with taking a bath and personal grooming.
- Adult Day Health Care Program for structured activity, socialization, medication management in a supportive, therapeutic environment.
- Plans to relocate to another, more suitable living environment or install devices and equipment in the home for safety.
- Determining eligibility for and benefits from Medicare, Medicaid, Medigap, Social Security, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Information and Assistance is available to persons 60 years and older. There is no charge for Information and Assistance, though some direct services may have a sliding fee depending on income level.
Voluntary and confidential contributions are always accepted and appreciated.