The local long-term care ombudsman helps persons living in nursing homes and assisted living facilities, and persons receiving community-based services, assert their rights and express their grievances, regarding the long-term care services they receive.
- Advocates on behalf of persons living in nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
- Investigates and helps resolve complaints regarding long-term care facilities and services.
- Counsels seniors and their families and supporters about financial, social, family, and legal concerns related to long-term care.
- Promotes and asserts the rights of older persons regarding long-term care services.
- Educates and assists to prevent the abuse, neglect, and exploitation of older adults.Works to empower consumers to achieve results in obtaining needed long-term care and to help with referrals to community resources and agencies.