Need additional assistance? Certified counselors are available to help individuals and their caregivers make sense of Medicare and compare other health insurance benefits to find the best plans available.
The Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (VICAP) is part of a nationwide network of health insurance assistance programs. VICAP is offered at various locations throughout the VPAS service area (see sidebar) and throughout the communities VPAS serves. Trained and certified counselors assist older adults, persons with disabilities and their caregivers understand and compare Medicare and other health insurance benefits.
VICAP counselors are not associated with any insurance company and do not sell insurance products. Counseling is non-biased, confidential and free and is offered by appointment. Home visits can be arranged for homebound older adults.
VICAP Counselors provide information on:
- Medicare Basics for persons newly enrolling to Medicare.
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (Part D).
- Applying for Extra Help in paying for Part D premiums and drug costs.
- Applying for Medicare Savings Programs for help with Medicare premiums, deductibles and co-payments.
- Medicare Advantage Health Plans.
- Medicare Supplemental Insurance (Medigap).
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Understanding medical and insurance statements.
- Filing claims and appeals.
- Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse.
New to Medicare? If you are preparing to turn 65 years old and need help understanding Medicare, we can help. VPAS' certified staff are trained and available to provide you with information to help you better understand Medicare coverage. There is no formal charge for services, however donations are requested.